One of Faroe's most interesting and popular attractions
Kirkjubøur is the southernmost village on Stremoy and one of Faroe’s most interesting and popular attractions. During the Middles Ages it was the ecclesiastic and cultural centre of the Faroe Islands. It was home to the Bishop’s residence until the mid-16th century reformation when the Faroese Diocese was abolished. In those days the village is said to have had around 50 houses. The majority of these houses were washed away by a fierce storm in the 16th century, which created the islet, Kirkjubøhólmurin, which contains ruins from that period.
St Magnus Cathedral
The ruin of St Magnus Cathedral, built in the 1300s and the effective seat of power over several centuries, is still visible today. The remains are partially covered to protect them from the forces of nature. In 1832, a runestone referred to as the Kirkjubøur stone, dating back to the Viking Age, was found near the Cathedral.
St Olav's Church
Ólavskirkja (St Olav's Church) was built in 1111 and used as the main church in the Faroe Islands for centuries. The medieval carved pew ends from St Olav's Church are now to be found in the National Museum of the Faroe Islands.
Farmhouse and Church
Dating to the 12th century and turf-roofed, Roykstovan/Kirkjubøargarður is one of the oldest inhabited timber houses in the world, and considered one of the most important components of Faroe's heritage.
The 900-year-old farmhouse and small museum stands on the site of the Bishop's Palace and has been occupied by the same family, the Paturssons, for 17 generations. It has been the farmers' homestead since 1557 AD and, prior to that, was a part of the Bishop's Palace.
The farmhouse is still in use, and the medieval parts of it are preserved and open to the public, along with the parish church, daily during the summer and by request during the winter months.